Sunday, May 13, 2012

Happy Mother's Day!!


In honor of today's holiday, I have been thinking a lot about the mother that God blessed me with. As I am getting older and figuring life out a little (VERY LITTLE) at a time, I am beginning to realize how incredible my mother really has been and still is to this day. My mother has had a really hard life. One that I never understood and honestly, I still don't. She raised my sister and I by herself and managed to work, sometimes 3 jobs at a time, in order to not only make ends meet but to also provide us with the things that we wanted (cell phones, cars, etc). I remember when I was younger and my mom would be working night shift at the hospital. I would call her and read a paper that I had written (because she is a really great writer). She would listen and critique it. When I think about that, it just means so much to me that she was able to balance both her career as a nurse and her calling  as a mother. She was able to serve her patients and still help her daughter with her homework assignment, at the same time.



My mom has never been one to back down from a challenge. In fact, I would say she thrives on them. Her entire life has been a challenge.  But she has never let that stop her. She is one of the most caring and compassionate people that I know. I loved working with her at the clinic because I loved watching her interact with her patients. My mom's clinic was in one of the poorest counties in MS and some of our patients were so poor that they didn't have enough food to feed their families. I was always very impressed with how my mother treated them. She doesn't treat people differently because of money, the color of their skin, or other circumstances. She taught me to love all of God's children equally. 


My mom always says that she doesn't know how she got so lucky to have two great daughters. Well,  I don't think it really has anything to do with luck. It took a lot of hard work, time, tears, energy and prayers but she raised us. She formed us into the people we are today. I'm not saying that we are perfect because we all know that no one is perfect. But I think my mom has done an amazing job as a mother. 


She is so good with children! She loves to just act silly and laugh. Children LOVE her! I am so excited and look forward to the day that I can watch her play with and love my children. She is going to be the most amazing grandmother ever! 

There have been many times when my mom could have thrown in the towel and given up but she didnt. She held on and fought. She taught us to be fighters as well. She has always given so much of herself for the benefit of others and only asked for respect in return.

I love my mom for many reasons but here are a few that I can list:

I can call her and cry about how hard school is and she will encourage me to hold on and keep fighting. 

She will ALWAYS give her very last penny to make sure we have what we need.

She found ways to bond with me that weren't always typical. When I was younger and we were living in CA, she would let me spend the night at the hospital when it wasn't busy. She would take me somewhere and buy me dinner and then we would head to the hospital and she would get me settled in one of the empty rooms. I would eat my dinner, watch tv, etc and she would pop in every chance she had to either introduce me to one of her fellow nurses or just talk to me. Once her patients fell asleep, she would let me come out and hang out at the nurses station. To this day, we still bond over the medical field and ill call her and talk to her about something I learned in one of my classes. I love it so much!

She is the most hysterical person I know!

She is really, really smart!

She is adventurous. (I guess that  is where I get it.)

She is extremely hardworking and has almost worked herself into a grave. 

She never gives up on her kids.

She is not easily fooled. 

She is so thoughtful!

She is GORGEOUS!!!!!!

I love my mom so much and I wish I could be with her today to bake her a yummy treat, make her a delicious dinner and cuddle with her and watch the cooking channel (or HGTV) all day long. I have been blessed to have been raised by my mom and I hope that one day I can be half the nurse, mother, friend, person, etc that she is. 

I LOVE YOU MOMMY!!!! HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment