Tuesday, March 8, 2011

I lived to tell the tale.

Hey Everyone! So, today I have thought alot about my life and all ofthe decisions I have made that have gotten me to where I am now and I cant help but be so thankful for the opportunity I have to be healthier and be better. I admit when I had the gastric bypass surgery, I did not do it for myself. Well, not entrirely. I did it for my family. I did it for my children who I will one day have the amazing priviledge of teaching, molding, and hopefully inspiring them to be healthy. I want to prepare myself now so that when I am a mother I can and will make the healthiest choices for my children.  I did this for my future husband. So, that he would have a wife who is as healthy as she possibly can be and who maintains a healthy household. I did this for my sister because she begged me to change so that I would be around for a long time and not die at a young age.


It is not easy to get up earlier in the morning to exercise and drink a protein shake. It is definetely not easy giving up something that you have loved your entire life but the things in life that are worth the fight and struggle are NOT easy! But, you will be better for over coming these challenges. You will see one day that you now have a choice.



Before, the surgery I ate sweets like they were going out of style! I am the cook/baker in the family and I would make birthday cakes, special occasion cakes,etc. I formed an addiction with food and gave up my agency to choose. If I saw a piece of cake I had to eat it. If  someone gave me candy I ate every single piece. It would never even cross my mind to save some for later.

It is incredible for me now to think back on the mindset that I was in before surgery. I am able to walk into a bakery and not even want anything. Or watch some one eat something that I used to LOVE and not even care. Alot of that has to do with the fact that my body cannot digest sugars the same way anymore and if I do eat sweets I get REALLY sick. But, i have also realized that the world will continue on if I dont have a cookie, piece of cake, candy, or whatever else it may be.

So, anyway...I talk alot about making small changes. A few small changes I have made since surgery are:
1. Eat all of the protein off of my plate.
Unless I fix my own plate, I can never eat everything. So, I have to start with the protein first and get as much of that in as possible before I fill up.
2. NO CANDY! When I first had the surgery, i figured out that I could suck on hard candy (root beer barrells) and not get sick. Well, I quickly realized that this theory isnt accurate with all candy. I just avoid candy of all kinds! I seriously dont even like eating peppermints.
3.Increase water intake. My body doesnt absorb nutrients the way it used to. So, i could easy drink soda s and whatever and not absord as many calories as someone else would but it is still not the healthier option. Although, there are some healthy beverages available, water is always gonna be the healthiest option.

4.I take 3 vitamins daily.

and
 
 
and



 I have really began to love vitamins. After surgery I couldnt swallow pills, so I HAD to take chewable vitamins and even though I can swallow pills now I still choose to stick with the same ones.

Anyway, so here is my first "Before and After" pictures.

BEFORE
AFTER
3 months post-op. 90lbs down.
Sorry, its crooked. I dont know why it did that.



I have a long way to go until I feel like I am at a healthy weight and can maintain that weight. But, life is a journey and this is too. If it werent for our struggles and challenges in life, we would be really bored. So, I hope anyone who is reading this will follow me along my journey and maybe if I am really lucky, I will motivate you to join me!

Live Life, Love Life, Love Yourself.

-Emily



5 comments:

  1. You GO GO GO GIRL!!!
    I'm praying for you and your journey! You CAN do this!!!

    BTW- i "met" you over at {simply delicious}!!!

    Let me know specific prayer needs at

    www.mrsvolnoff.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read about you on {simply delicious}. Your story is so inspiring. Good luck with everything. I look forward to reading about your journey. Know that you so many people that are here to support you (even if it's just an encouraging comment and a prayer). Thanks for being willing to share your journey with us!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you look fabulous!!!! i don't even know you but i feel proud of you lol. i think your gonna do great and i'm se excited to be apart of it. (watching and reading that it) :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just read your emails with sadie jane...you are so inspiring, I was hoping you would start a blog and I am glad you did! You will have so much support! Keep up the good work and don't let anyone get you down! Love yourself no matter what, you are a beautiful strong woman!
    Can't wait to continue to read about your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You guys seriously have all just absolutely made my LIFE with your sweet comments! I am so thankful for all of your support and am more than happy to share my story in hopes of helping some one else! I look forward to getting to know you all during this journey! :)

    ReplyDelete