Thursday, June 30, 2011

There is always "something".........





If you have read my blog from the beginning, im sure you have heard me talk about my previous health issues. Before surgery, I suffered from Hypothyroidism, a condition in which the thyroid gland does not make enough thyroid hormone.

Hypothyroidism has MANY symptoms/signs. The main ones ive had to deal with are extreme fatigue and an abnormal menstrual cycle. Seriously, ladies, im sure we could all agree that when Mother Nature starts messing with your "cycle" it throws EVERYTHING out of wack! Anyway, moving along.....haha

So, Monday I went to the Student Health Center to have my monthly check-up and lab work done. I have been feeling extremely tired lately. A lot more than usual. I get plenty of sleep for the most part but I always feel like I havent rested. Its crazy! I was worried that something was wrong with my thyroid again.

During the exam, my doctor asked me if I was on any medication for my thyroid and I told him about how I used to be but now that ive lost so much weight it seems to have fixed itself so I no longer take it..blah blah blah. Well, I called the office yesterday because I hadnt heard back from them about my results. The doctor informed me that my thyroid level was really high again and that I would need to start back on my medication in order to fix it.
I thought once I lost weight it would fix itself and I would be "normal" again but it seems as if it just hasnt gotten its act together yet. Hopefully, one day I wont have to take so much medicine but until then ill just try to be patient and keep in mind that it could always be worse.

But on the plus side, my protein level is normal and my b12 level is 10 times the normal amount, which is caused because I dont absorb it anymore so I have to have a lot more than normal. If that makes any sense.........Its complicated. haha


-EM

3 comments:

  1. Hang in there girl! I have Hypothyroidism too. It sucks to feel fatigued and blah all the time. But I do know that when I take the medicine I feel a lot better. Hopefully you will be feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey I have hypothyroidsim too! We should form a club. Emily, I did the same thing, took myself off the meds and I am still recovering. Some days I just don't have the energy to do anything, get my levels checked and need to up my dosage. My doc works with me great. I am not up to 300 mcgs and have to get it checked all the time. I still don't feel 100% w/ the meds, but diet and exercise DO help even when I feel too tired to do it, once I start I feel better...see we are SOUL sisters :-)

    ReplyDelete