Friday, October 12, 2012

Im just a little bean.



I am currently blogging from the Oncology department of the Montgomery County Memorial Hospital in Red Oak, Iowa. Stay calm! I am completely cancer free. I am just receiving treatment for my anemia. I am getting an iron infusion which will take about 5-6 hours.This is my nurse, Jill! She is super cool! I had to take some Benadryl before we could start the iron and it made me super nauseated and made my blood pressure drop to 92/49. Jill keeps saying. "Its because you're such a little bean. If you were a hefty woman you could take that 25 of Beny." She is so funny! So, I am just hanging out with my books and magazines. Thank goodness the hospital has WIFI available to patients. Honestly, the staff here has been super kind and accommodating. I was greeted by the friendly receptionist, whom my mother and I have made friends with. Unfortunately, I cant recall her name. Some friend I am! Anyway, she sent me right on back where I was greeted by a handful of nurses who directed me over to my chair which they had saved just for me because it is over in the far corner of the room which would mean more privacy for me and is directly in front of one of the tv's. They are being so kind to me and taking such good care of me! No lie. I currently have two pillows and a heated blanket. Ive realized the next best thing to cuddling with "someone special" is cuddling up with a heated blanket! Can I get an "AMEN"?! 

Although, I have a sad face in this pic I refuse to complain about having to be here or having this IV in my hand. I am surrounded by people who are battling a tough disease. I have no right to complain. 



So, ill just smile and count my blessings. Because even when life is hard and you have every reason to be sad, you are still blessed. There are so many things around us to be thankful for but we just have to realize it. 
I take my blessings for granted every single day. I guess that is part of being human. 

Well, being here is making me SUPER SUPER SUPER excited to start working here. It seems like such a fun environment. Everyone I have met so far has been way nice to me! That may be because of my mom. She makes friends with EVERYONE and then they automatically love me as well. Seriously, that woman can talk to anyone and anything. Sometimes I have to just walk away because she carries on for so long. I admit sometimes I am so A.D.D. that I cant focus on conversations for very long. I'm working on it. Promise. 

Last night, my mom spoke at a women's conference here at the hospital. She spoke about colon cancer and how it can be prevented. I actually had so much fun. I love health fairs. I am such a nerd. I just love health related topics especially when they relate to women's health. I want to specialize in women's health once I am done with PA school. By the way, I have been figuring things out with school (or at least trying to figure things out....) and I have about 2 years left for my bachelor's degree and then grad school will be another 2-3 years. I cannot imagine how hard these next 5 years are going to be academically but it sure beats the heck out of going to medical school. I have been looking at different PA programs and honestly, I have NO clue where I will go. I guess I will just apply to 5 or so different schools and just hope and pray someone will accept me! 

Anyway, going back to the women's conference last night. I took so many pictures to share with everyone but then I got home and tried to upload them off of my Iphone and it keeps saying there are no photos or video on the device. Hmmm....not sure what the deal is with that but ill try to figure it out. I'll post more about the conference later. 

I am really excited to see how I feel after getting this iron treatment! My sister had the same thing and received the same treatment and she said only a few days later she felt AMAZING! Im interested to see what it will do for my running. 

YES! The Doctors just came on tv. There is something SO sexy about a man in scrubs. =) HOLLA! 

Well, I guess that is all for now. I mean, I will be here for awhile so I will probably blog again.

-Em

No comments:

Post a Comment